Re: wooden boards

Claire, et al--

I work with hardwoods (mostly making presses) and fyi, mesquite moves
(expands, contracts, etc.) less than any other North American wood. I
suggest also padauk, purpleheart, and cocobolo for exposed boards,
naturally finished. I don't work much with oak because of movement. Texas
ebony is also an interesting wood of many colors and extremely hard
(specific gravity of 1.04, i.e., won't float). It takes a mirror finish but
is subject to checking. And it's difficult to find, particularly in pieces
large enough for anything more than 12mo or small 8vo. I've never made
anything with it in thin pieces.

Sam Lanham
Sam Lanham (slanham@xxxxxxxx)