Re: wooden boards [ultramarine]

>firewood and the ash is later soaked with hot water to extract lye which I
>use when cooking rags down for papermaking or when I am making genuine
>ultramarine pigment.

Jack- those are two good clear posts! But how do you make the "real ultramarine?" I thought it was made by grinding Armenian Lapis Lazuli.

By the way- when I was at the Biblioteca Capitolare in Verona the binder was using olive wood boards in his restoration of 11th c. bindings (which were alum tawed pigskin quarter bindings with exposed boards). He had a special permit from the Italian gov't because it's otherwise illegal to cut the olive trees, which he said can date to Roman times. Are the trees really over a thousand years old? They do grow very slowly, and it must take an olive tree a long time to become thick enough to cut book boards from. The grain is incredibly beautiful, and he said it is naturally insect proof because it is so dense.

I wonder if teak would make a good binding. It is naturally rot and insect resistant (toxic, I believe).

I have a miniature book in my collection titled "The Raising of The Royal George" bound in the wood of the wreck. The boards have warped and split on one cover.

            Richard
            http://minsky.com