Re: Bone folders

I don't make my own bone folders like Jack does (Bleecker St. doesn't have the same raw materials), but I don't use the store-bought ones off the shelf. I've never found one that works right. It's still necessary to sand them into a usable shape. For the rounded-both-ends variety I like having one edge slightly concave and one slightly convex (or mostly flat going convex near the end, so it curves away and doesn't burnish paper near a fold), with one side flattened near the end, and four different thickness edges at the "corners."

This makes it possible to fold, rub down, burnish and score many different things without switching tools.
            Richard
            http://minsky.com