Re: Bone folders

While I used to use REAL bone all the time I have found that nothing beats
teflon. I have one I made out of 1/4 inch sheet stock which is great. My
other one I got from Bookmakers. It's bigger, and heavier, but great for
large projects. Nice thing about teflon, cleans up incredibly easily
(nothing sticks) and doesn't mark the surface of what you're working on
unless you're excessively brutal. Cost $25 but worth every bill.

I still use bone for some things, mostly shaping headcaps. My favorite is
quite narrow and thin with a point on one end and beveled flat edge on the
other. Works the leather and vellum beautifully.

Peter

Der Buchbinder als Architekt des Buches baut eine
Fassade seiner Zeit. Edwin Redslob

Peter Verheyen, Conservation Librarian
Syracuse University Library
Syracuse, NY 13244