[Table of Contents] [Search]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Bone folders

Confused about bookbinding terminology... Well, surf on over to the source,
Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books: A Dictionary of Descriptive
Terminology By Matt T. Roberts and Don Etherington with drawings by
Margaret R. Brown.

It's online and can be linked to either via the tutorials section in Book
Arts Links at <http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey> or directly at

Here is the definition they give for "bone folder."


1. A thin length of wood, bone, ivory, or other material, from 6 to 12
inches long, and 1 to 1 1/2 inches wide. The typical folder is
approximately 1/8 inch thick. It is tapered to the edges, has rounded edges
and ends, and is used in folding sheets by hand and cutting bolts, and also
in numerous binding operations. 2. See: FOLDING MACHINES . 3. A publication
consisting of one sheet of paper folded to make two or more leaves but not
stitched or cut. 4. A large sheet of stiff paper, usually manila, folded
once. It has a projection or tag for heading at the top of the rear
portion. (204 ).

Give it a whirl next time you're confused. There are alot more definitions


>I am fascinated by this "bone folder" thread, but haven't a clue what a
>"bone folder" is or what its precise purpose might be. A short answer to me
>directly would be fine, unless you think others on the list might be
>Winston Pei

Der Buchbinder als Architekt des Buches baut eine
Fassade seiner Zeit. Edwin Redslob

Peter Verheyen, Conservation Librarian
Syracuse University Library
Syracuse, NY 13244

[Subject index] [Index for current month] [Table of Contents] [Search]