Re: bone folder [shapes]

Great question!  Richard mentioned the edges of his favorite folder.  This
gets right to the meat of the issue.  A person can purchase a bone folder
but that doesn't mean that they have purchased the tool they will use.
Before I began making my own bone folders I would go through dozens of
folders at an art supply store to find one which best fit my hand; I didn't
think/realize at the time that I could buy a folder and then shape it to
fit my hand.  When I began rolling my own, it was a simple matter to form
the tool to fit my hand and habit of working.

I just went to count my folders.  There are 13 bone folders; 7 lignum vitae
folders; and 6 bamboo folders, ranging from approx. 2 inches in length to
11 inches long.  Two of the lignum vitae tools are chisel shaped at the
working end and I use them to remove glue from spines of books in for
re-backing.  The longest bone folder is flat and straight with rounded
ends. I use it to flatten cloth and paper when making boxes.

One of my smaller bone folders is curved, with a point at one end and
rounded at the other end.  I use this one to set head caps.  This is the 2
inch folder and it works off my finger tips just right, but I didn't
realize that until I made it and worked it around in my hands as it was
forming on the belt sander.

Sometimes you just have to let the tool tell you what it is made to do.

Jack

>Date:    Wed, 11 Jun 1997 07:26:13 -0400
>From:    Karen Sanders <karen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: bone folders
>
>And could you add something about shapes?  My favorite doesn't lie flat, it's
>got a curve so the ends are 1/2" off the table.
>
>And I know Karen Crisalli's store advertises several different shapes,
>including the one that's a keychain.
>
>Karen from Atlanta

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Lab