Re: Bone folders/teflon

>Date:    Wed, 11 Jun 1997 05:31:04 -0400
>From:    "Peter D. Verheyen" <pdverhey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: Bone folders
>
>While I used to use REAL bone all the time I have found that nothing beats
>teflon.

Teflon is an excellent material from which to make folders and splitting
knives.  It doesn't make burnishing marks as sharply as bone does and it
splits boards very nicely.  There are two thin and one thick teflon folders
on my bench.

The drawback, in my experience, is that thinner teflon tools deform in use,
they scratch easily, and thick teflon tools are not always appropriate to a
task.

This only demonstrates that no single tool will answer every purpose; the
person at the bench has two choices.  Modify their technique to conform to
the tool(s) at hand, or modify the tool(s) to meet their needs.  Either
method works, but modifying the tools is more fun.  Maybe it's a guy thing.
I don't know.

Jack

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Lab