Re: soaking bone folders in vegetable oil

One of my teachers felt strongly that a petroleum based oil, such as
ordinary motor oil, should be used for soaking a bone bolder to make it
easier to clean.  I've forgotten the rationale but it seems that the
vegetable oils somehow weakened the material and also attracts insects.
(yes!)  The procedure was just as you described; soak the bone folder in
a pool of oil for several days, then wipe with paper towels or cloths
until no more oil will rub off.  Then it can be washed repeatedly and
water will not penetrate and eventally soften it.
Once you wipe it clean it is not oily to the touch and no oil "seeps" out
of it.