Wayzgoose - more personal stuff

Al Rubottom <alrub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Subject: thanks for more Wayzgoosology
>
>but whoever posted the charming recollection
>his time at Yale: you didn't identify yourself
>in the msg, so yr msg was anonymous....
>snip<
>Please let us know who you are and what you're
>up now.
>
>Al & Sibyl
>Hiranya Garba Press

Well, it was me, but my post was not meant to be anonymous. In many ways
I have spent much of my life seeking to recreate those undergraduate
days.

In about 1973 I bought a 9x13 Peerless jobber with an 1878 patent date at
an estate auction near Wilkes Barre, PA. It had been motorized via belts
to the flywheel, but the connecting rod from the foot treadle had merely
been unhooked from the offset on the crankshaft on which the flywheel
turns. I took the press apart, stripped all the crud off it and repainted
it in its original black color, did some other repairs, hooked up the
treadle and tossed out the electric motor. I bought cases of type at
auctions of New York and New Jersey typography houses then going out of
business, stands to put the cases in, a real stone "stone," and other
working antiquities, and I started to print again.

I wasn't able to do very much printing because of the demands of my law
career, family, and other interests, but it was a real pleasure to have
the tools at hand and be able to work with them when I had a chance. A
few years later I bought a Vandercook Universal III and installed it, a
small guillotine and the other stuff in a suburban New Jersey basement. I
picked up a little Kelsey, bolted it to a 2-foot high 1/2-case size
typestand I made, and taught my young daughters to set type and print.
Later they used the big presses and my regular type.

Ultimately all those things and the family as well were distributed to
various other places. My type is in storage, but the Peerless and
Vandercook are now in regular use (on long-term loan) at the Center for
Book Arts in Manhattan, where I am on the Board of Directors. A nice
picture of the Peerless appeared last year in a chapter on book binders
and conservationists in the book "At Home With Books," edited by Estelle
Ellis, Seebohm and Sykes (Carol Southern Books 1995, page 162). I am not
entirely sure why it was included, because the press was never designed
to print books, although it is very photogenic.

I have not been able to get into the Branford College printshop in many
years during my sporadic visits to New Haven, so do not know what is
going on inside if anything. I have asked Bridget Burke for advance word
of the next Wayzgoose in hopes that I will be able to attend. If I do so
I will give a full report  on this list.

Wayne Batcheler
New York