Re: printer inks

In a message dated 97-06-16 09:02:25 EDT, dherlihy@xxxxxxxx (Daria) writes:

<< My question is, how does the price, longevity  factor and
 color standard  of the HP inkjet compare with that done by means of a
 color copier  >>

Lilias:  I wasn't considering the cost per printed page for the current books
I'm doing but rather the particular quality of the printer output I'm now
using.  I know it sounds a bit peculiar but I have run tests on a couple of
high resolution printers (but not on copiers) and after at first being
dismayed, I did some more tests and you know what?  It is the HP 550C InkJet
 that is giving me a beautiful grainey quality to the images I have which has
a distintive and unique look that I love.  I was willing to acquire a more up
to date printer but now I'm glad that I didn't.  I'm using a laser printer
for the text by the way, since any of the inkjets I've tried still doesn't
compare in terms of tightness and clarity of the type.

The prints have a certain acquatint quality that translates the
watercolor/guache/ink/graphite drawings into something different than the
orginals but at the same time has an authenticity as a print.  It is the
print as a print that is important to me in this case.  As a result, I have
been working on the images in such a way that although they may not express
exactly what I want as originals, they do in the printer translation.  Much
like  considering a graphic print.  A print from a plate or block is much
different than the original drawing so the approach to the original is done
with the end result in mind rather than as a reproduction.

The other thing that I like about using an inkjet is that the color sinks
into the paper rather nicely.  The copier images that I have seen seem to
have a surface quality that I find a little troublesome.  Of course I haven't
tried experimenting with the different copiers available so it is an avenue
for me to explore on a different project.  I'm sure it has real
possibilities.

The longevity factor for copier prints probably isn't much better than an
inkjet although I don't really know.  I'm still trying to find some answers
to that.  Regarding the color standard....well whatever it is for a
particular printer/copier output, I would take that into consideration when
working on the original artwork, then modify the work so that it works well
as a final print.  Of course we have the advantage of manipulating our images
through software now so our tools are somewhat expanded and can enable us to
achieve our end result with greater ease than in the past.

So far so good except for the weakest link in all of this........permanency,
but that may turn out not to be a problem either if there is a viable
solution.  I would guess that the folks engaged in restoration work could
give us some guidelines to follow.

Chris Ray

http://members.aol.com/crocusdes