Apprenticeships...

I have some questions for those of you offering "apprenticeships" in
bookbinding. Assume that the "apprentice" has very little prior experience.

1: Do you have a minimum duration, maximum duration, average?

2: Do you charge "apprentices" or pay them based on some sort of sliding
scale. What basis is used for this scale, ie. experience, profitability...?

3: Do you have some sort of curriculum which you try to follow, concluding
with a set of skills and proficiency expectations? How is this curriculum
arrived at: predetermined, discussed and agreed upon with apprentice,
whatever the apprentice wants...?

4: What are your expectations, pre-entry requirements...?

5: Any other thoughts on the subject?

If anyone wants to share their thoughts, experiences, warnings... I'd love
to hear about them.

Peter

>>   Frauen, Scheckbuecher und Vergoldstempel sollte man nie   <<
>>   ausleihen! F.A. Recht                                     <<

Peter D. Verheyen           <wk> 315.443.9937   <fax>315.443.9510
<Email>                            mailto:pdverhey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<Webmaster>                    http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey
<Listowner>           mailto:Book_Arts-L-Request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx