Re: Ink Jet inks

At 11:43 AM 97/06/20, Sasowsky Norman wrote:
>I use both a Canon Ink Jet printer - the 610 - which has four separate
>color cartidges. My experience in general over the past year is that this
>is an excellent printer, very realiable, and capable of producing very
>fine prints at the 360 dpi printing resoulution. I have no interest in
>higher resolutions wihich are often associated with photographic
>reproductions via the ink jet, although I have experimented with this. If
>you want high photographic quality resolution then 720 and 1440 are
>definitely of interest to you

Not really. The resolution, above 300 dpi is rather irrelevant if you want
to obtain photographic quality prints. It's like people who spend a fortune
for stereo systems that only a 2-year old dog can hear... The most
expensive printer around -Iris-, has a resolution of 300dpi. It uses a
variety of tricks to fool the eyes into thinking it provides 1500 dpi.
Check the Iris site.

The recently introduced 4-color Epson 800 uses a resolution of 1400dpi x
720dpi. The newer 6-color (with extra light cyan and magenta) Epson Stylus
Photo only provides 720dpi x 720dpi but the resulting color prints are much
better than the higher res model 800. For a full discussion, somewhat
heated at times, check the Usenet newsgroup rec.photo.digital.
>Inks are a more difficult issue to deal with. Canon says their inks are
>"light resistent," Can anyone translate? I've written to them but have not
>had  a response. There are archival inks available - I know not where -
>that are used in making ink jet Iris prints and ways to treat the paper to

The regular Iris inks, designed for color proofing, are quite fugitive.
There are newer sets which are said to be a lot better but I don't know if
we can call them "archival".

>insure stability of the inks and coatings, I believe to coat the finished
>prints. Apparently, there are varnishes that can be used in this way but
>this sounds like a method I would not want to use for aesthetic and health

Conservators have little confidence in so-called UV treatments. I have read
studies to the effect that some UV absorbent plexiglass protected some
colors more than others and this resulted in prints that displayed a strong
color shift that was much more noticeable than normal fading where all 3
primaries fade at the same rate.

Luis Nadeau
nadeaul@xxxxxxxxxxx
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada