Re: mold stains on paper

Hi everyone,  this posting was on the papermaking list.  I am forwarding it
on to the book arts list as there are some very knowledgeable people here
who may be able to answer his questions better than I can.  I will forward
any reply's on to him, but I think others on this list would be interested
as well.

Thanks - Colette Vosberg

I am an art printer, I use in many of my prints hand made paper that I
purchase at a privet workshop.
Most of the paper are doing fine with etching, woodcuts etc. but now I
have found that prints I have done two years ago developed brown to
yellow   tiny stains, which look to me like mold stains. It didn't
happened on the other hand in Rives or Arch papers I have used in the
same occasion.
I will be very happy if one of you member of list know the reason to
this, and if there is a way to avoid it.
Thank you very much,

My answer to him:    The yellow stains sound like it could be rust stains or
foxing.  The stains will eventually spread and possibly eat through the
paper.  This is caused by impurities that get into the pulp during the paper
making process.  You didn't mention what type of paper you bought - ie:
cotton, abaca that the private workshop sold you.  They should guarantee
their product and be aware of the problem.

>I thank you very much for your answer. It seems to me very reasonable,
>since I know the papermill equipment. Still I cannot understand why
>those stains come out only on those papers I have printed on and not on
>those I didn't. (From the same purchase)
>It happened especially on paper made of KOZO.
>Do you know if there is a way to check the quality of the paper before
>printing on it? It is so frustrating to print and than to find out all
>that damage.
>One more question, I like so much to print on hand made paper, but
>unfortunately I afraid that those I can find here (Israel) are not from
>good quality. Do you think it will be unreasonable to purchase them
>abroad?
>I hope  I do not bother you too much, with lots of thanks,
>Vari.
>Vkramer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Colette Johnson-Vosberg