Re: Japanese stab binding (was Decorating pages?????)

At 11:11 AM 8/4/97 -0400, you wrote:

>I am curious as to what you think about folding the inner binding spine paper
>over the head and foot of the text block.  Ikegami mentioned (doesn't he?)
>that some traditional binders have abandoned this because it is a haven for
>bugs.  Have you found this to be true?  Do you fold over the top, or allow it
>to be open (as the pages are open)?

Beth--As Cathy Atwood indicated you may be confusing the inner binding
(Ikegami, p. 30) with the corner pieces. Yes, I use the corner pieces but
I've never had any bug problems that I know of.  This could be, at least in
part, the result of using a glue stick (Uhu, Pritt, Sparco or any of the
acid-free ones) for corner adhesive. It doesn't whet the bugs' appetites as
paste does. I usually use a corner piece measuring 1 1/8" square with 3/8"
or 1/2" on the ends and the rest on the spine. Sometimes I use a single
piece and cover the entire spine. I think the corner pieces are important
particularly since that is a heavy wear point.  Japanese-made books usually
(not always) employ corners; Chinese-made books usually don't.

Enjoy your hands!

Sam

Sam Lanham (slanham@xxxxxxxx)