Re: 19th c. calling cards

At 08:50 PM 8/5/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Calling cards from the 1850s-60s were often handwritten rather than engraved.
>A facet of 19th century etiquette we seem to have forgotten is that many
>personal items were hand-done, & business ones were printed or engraved. In
>reading the unpublished 1860s diaries of John M. Wing I ran across a passage
>where Wing went to a local bank in upstate N.Y. to have his cards written
>out, doubtlessly by an accountant who would have had a "professional" hand.
>Some samples of the cards still exist and they are written in the Spencerian
>script so common in this  period.
>
>Thomas E. Hill's Hill's Manual of Social and Business Forms (1st publ. 1873,
>1881 ed. consulted) also shows a Spencerian style of script for visiting
>cards.
 Hill goes on to say
>that "Autograph cards should be used only among those acquaintances to whom
>the residence is well known. Business cards should contain upon their face
>the name, business, address and references, if references are used."

My  1882/1902_Parson's_Handbook_of_Business_and_Social_Forms_make similar
rules and states that persons that are not local residents should carry
printed calling cards,  hand written cards are only for use between persons
of personal aquaintance. Also advises against "gaudy and loud chromos"
except for use by children. Business card should include address,
references etc....

Best,
      M I C H A E L   M O R I N                  M.F.A., M.L.S.
    Director Celtic Press                Instructional Media Librarian
     Buffalo  New York                   D'Youville College Library
                           ba202@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
       Member Buffalo Free-Net Executive Board of Directors