Re: Mould and Deckle

----------
> From: David Kern <dkern@xxxxxxxx>
> To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Mould and Deckle
> Date: Tuesday, August 12, 1997 9:46 AM
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations for a good material for the screen
> of a mould and deckle? I've been looking at fiberglass window screen but
> I wonder if the holes are too large. Thanks!
>
> David Kern
> dkern@xxxxxxxx

David:

If there are any paper mills nearby, give them a call, or if you know
anyone who works at one, ask them to help.  The wire I got from the local
IP Plant is very fine, and made of some sort of monofilament.  While you
are at it, try and score some felts, which are much harder to come by.  The
ones off the mills here in Maine are 20 feet wide by a couple hundred feet
long.  Every time I talked to someone from the mill, they have been helpful
and intrigued to talk to someone who appreciates their trade.

Good luck,

Gregory Shattenberg

shattenb@xxxxxxxxxxxx