[Table of Contents] [Search]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: gauffering?

At 10:54 AM 8/16/97 -0700, you wrote:

I'm certainly not an expert, but I was a student of Sheila Waters years ago
and her husband, Peter Waters IS an expert ! <g>
Gauffering is sort of like "carving" the fore-edge of the book with a
design.  It may even be gilded as well but is "indented" but I don't know
how you DO it.  I have many books on bookbinding so I'm sure it's in there
somewhere if no one else can answer it for you.
BTW, you CAN marble the edges of a book and edge-paint and even edge-paint
and THEN gild, I've seen examples of all of the above.

>On Sat, 16 Aug 1997 10:24:19 -0400 "MICHAEL E. MORIN"
><ba202@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>Gauffer is French for gopher.  Also refers to a honeycomb structure.
>Is this like with MARBLING paper?  (I am familiar with that; just not up
>on all the terms.)
>thankyou so much!
>                                        Julie
David Adams in Maryland

[Subject index] [Index for current month] [Table of Contents] [Search]