[Table of Contents] [Search]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: gauffering?

>Gauffered edges are those that are decorated, usually over gilt, with a
>heated pointille tool to create a pattern in the edges. I have not
>attempted this  (far too advanced for my meager talents), but have seen
>numerous books from the mid 19th c back that have gauffered edges.
>It is quite attractive when done well.
>Chris Hagen
>On Sat, 16 Aug 1997, Julia Springer wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Aug 1997 10:24:19 -0400 "MICHAEL E. MORIN"
>> <ba202@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> >Gauffer is French for gopher.  Also refers to a honeycomb structure.
>> Is this like with MARBLING paper?  (I am familiar with that; just not up
>> on all the terms.)
>> thankyou so much!
>>                                         Julie
>>Hello all;    Iv'e enjoyed lurking on this group.Now a modest contribution.
        In Japanese print country,"gauffrage" refers to raised designs
added to the soft mulberry paper of the prints by cut wood blocks that are
not inked in printing.
S.Zacks M.D.

[Subject index] [Index for current month] [Table of Contents] [Search]