[Table of Contents] [Search]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: gauffering and edge gilding?

You sent 16 Aug:

 >I saw reference to gauffering in an old post here. Can some
>kind soul please tell me what this means or in which book I'd
>find reference to it?
>Thank you VERY much!
>                     Julie

In reply to both queries on edge gilding and gauffering, the following two
books will be found excellent "teachers":

Mitchell, J  " A Craftsman's Guide to Edge Decoration", The Standing Press,
1993, [ISBN 0 952 1626 0 1].

The last two chapters give a description with photographs of
the techniques for colour under gold and fore-edge painting.

I posted this earlier this year to answer a similar query.  There are plenty of
photos and detailed practical notes in the book.   It is a hobby with me, but
I have attended John Mitchell's occasional practical courses.   Once you have
completed the edge gilding (which I find easier than decoration on leather!)
simple gauffering is relatively straightforward with pattern tools, but
practice is what is required to achieve consistency and perfection, on books of
little value.

Rodney Fry
<  rod.fry@xxxxxxxx>

[Subject index] [Index for current month] [Table of Contents] [Search]