shoe polish

-- [ From: Broome County Public Library * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

Date: Tuesday, 19-Aug-97 04:07 PM

From: Broome County Public Library \ Internet:    (bcpl@xxxxxxxxxxx) To:
bookarts_l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx \ Internet:    (bookarts_l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

Subject: shoe polish

I can almost hear the collective, anguished intake of breath, but here goes.
I have an old book covered with black leather. The leather is badly scuffed
from having rubbed against its neighbors as it was repeatedly removed and
replaced on its bookshelf. Would it be a mistake to use black shoe polish to
spiff it up?

Lavinia Adler