Re: BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 19 Aug 1997 to 20 Aug 1997

<<
 Subject: shoe polish

 I can almost hear the collective, anguished intake of breath, but here goes.
 I have an old book covered with black leather. The leather is badly scuffed
 from having rubbed against its neighbors as it was repeatedly removed and
 replaced on its bookshelf. Would it be a mistake to use black shoe polish to
 spiff it up? >>

I can't speak for shoe polish, but I can tell you that there is a French
product specifically for this purpose: it is called "Cire Wax" and is
available in several tinted versions, including black. It is a neutral ph
microcristalline wax containing fungicides and insecticides, and when the
leather wax dressing is applied with a soft cloth the tint helps to camoflage
scuff marks and scratches.  The 100cm tubes are $13 each plus postage, and
come in black, white, red, bordeaux, dark brown and light brown. A clear
version for waxing without tinting is $9; from Bookbinder's Warehouse e-mail
KarenC5071@xxxxxxx

Regards, Karen/BBW