[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Gauffering/Gilding Page Edges
- To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Gauffering/Gilding Page Edges
- From: Virginia Sauer <vsauer@xxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 08:53:40 EDT
- Message-id: <199708231254.FAA29452@SUL-Server-2.Stanford.EDU>
- Sender: "The Book Arts: binding, typography, collecting" <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
I have read with interest the threads on gilding the edges of
pages. Someone very kindly recommended two books on this
subject (_A Craftsman's Guide to Edge Decoration_ and _An
Introduction to Gold Finishing_, both by J. Mitchell).
Can anyone please give me an idea of how complicated this
process is (i. e., how difficult it would be to master)? I
want to make a few books as a token of thanks for people who
have very kindly helped me through a difficult time, and want
them to be as elegant as possible. Gilded page edges would
greatly enhance them -- but only if I did it correctly. I am
therefore trying to determine whether or not gilding the page
edges would be a realistic goal.
Thank you _VERY_ much for any help you can provide.