Letterpress Printing and Book Arts classes offered

If you are looking for classes in printing and/or the book arts in the
Seattle area, I offer a number of classes and workshops throughout the year
in my home studio. I have a fully equipped letterpress facility (Vandercook
SP15 and SP25, a 10 x 15 Chandler & Price, a 26" guillotine cutter, two book
presses, &c.). My reference library is extensive and I have a wonderful
collection of artist's books by a number of well-known book artists and
printers and well as a large sampling of models. These are some of the
classes which are coming up soon:

September 6-7:  Gocco Techno 101 with Jennifer Kennard. Learn to print without
getting your hands dirty using the Gocco Printer. This two-day workshop
taught by graphic designer Jennifer Kennard introduces you to a simple
photographic silkscreen process. Using laser and/or photocopy images with
black toner, you can re-create your own artwork with considerable detail on a
variety of surfaces. During the first day of class we will learn the basics
of Gocco technology and print from your originals onto greeting cards. The
next day, each student will experiment with a fabric stamper to create some
hand printed tea towels. We will also discuss a variety of other options for
printmaking surfaces. The Gocco printer is an invaluable tool for book
artists, designers and craftspeople who like to experiment in alternative
printmaking processes and want to reproduce their work in multiple editions
easily. Saturday, 10 to 4 p.m. and  Sunday, 10 to 1 p.m. $65, plus $20
materials fee. Bring lunch.

September 13:         Painting on the Printing Press. Explore the painterly
approach to letterpress printing developed by Harry Reese using woodblocks
and vinyl. It is wonderful how easy and fun this process is and how
delightful the results-which can be abstract or representational. You do not
have to be an artist to do this. Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. $60, includes
materials. Bring lunch

September 20-21:        Printed Postcards. Based on a wonderful series of classes
titled The Postcard Project: Celebrating Our Heroines  held at the Los
Angeles Woman's Building by Cheri Gaulke, this class gives you the
opportunity to choose someone significant in your life to acknowledge and
honor, famous or not, and produce a small edition of postcards about them.
Saturday and Sunday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. $80, includes materials.

October 18      :                Calendars for the New Year. Print and decorate
calendar pages using both letterpress printing and rubber stamps. The
 15-month calendar will be bound in paper covered boards with a cloth spine.
This is a wonderful opportunity to have fun with my collection of rubber
stamps (or bring your own) while making something useful for yourself or as a
gift.  Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. $45, includes materials. Bring lunch.

November 1-2:      Holiday Cards. Produce your own edition of greeting cards
for Channukah, Christmas, New Year's, Kwaanza, Valentine's, birthday, &c.
Saturday and Sunday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. $80, includes materials. Bring lunch.

November 29:            Origami: Ornaments and Boxes. Create decorative boxes
and ornaments for yourself or as gifts for the holiday season. (This is a
great opportunity to use some of the suminagashi or paste papers you created
in September.) Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. $45, includes materials. Bring
lunch.

December 6:           The Book as Star. Make a small hard cover multi-signature
book, sewn with a link stitch on an exposed spine. The book ties with ribbons
which can be used to open it up all the way to form a star. Saturday, 10 a.m.
to 2 p.m. $30, includes materials. Bring lunch.

Wednesday Evenings:     Letterpress Printing. An on-going studio class for any
level of printer, from beginning to experienced. Covers the fundamentals of
setting type by hand, operating platen and flatbed presses and the other
myriad details of letterpress printing: design, paper, typography, what makes
fine printing, &c. This is a fully equipped studio with a number of presses,
guillotine paper cutter, over 100 hundred cases of type, a library of fine
press and artist's books, reference materials and models. Someone recently
told me that I make everything look easy...it is easy! Participants have been
producing books, broadsides, business cards, stationery, &c. Enroll or
re-enroll at any time for a four-week period for $75. Wednesday evenings: 7
to 10 p.m.

You can contact me at:  Bonnie Thompson Norman
                                                        The Windowpane Press
                                                        4243 NE 92nd Street
                                                        Seattle, WA 98115
                                                        206.527.9737