Re: PVA Adhesive

I am not familiar with Lineco's PVA adhesive, but do not accept any PVA as
archival; pH neutral is a much abused term.  I have samples of PVA-type
adhesives which are/were sold as archival & pH neutral but which, on
standing unopened for two-three years changed from white or creamy
substances to dark brown layered substances.

You might consider spraying a clear acrylic varnish on one side of the
polyester, letting it dry, and then ironing it onto the paper.  Acrylics
are safer than PVA's from an archival standpoint, and tend to be much
easier to reverse should that become necessary.

Jack

>Date:    Sun, 31 Aug 1997 10:52:12 -0400
>From:    The Shattenbergs <shattenb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: PVA Adhesive
>
>What don't I know?
>
>I am using Lineco PVA adhesive for mounting a polyester film to a rag
>paper.  It is sold as pH neutral and archival.  I am using this because
>starch based pastes do not adhere to the polyester.  Is there a problem
>with this combination?
>
>Thank you,
>
>Gregory Shattenberg
>
>Shattenb@xxxxxxxxxxxx