Re: Drills for 4-hole stab bindings

I don't know about the Colophon drill, but a common punch (also
expensive) is made in Japan and is a small push drill with very sharp
open bits in about 7 sizes from, say 1 mm to 4 mm.  Thus, if you look at
the business end of the bit it looks like the letter "o" so that the
paper that is punched out goes into the hole.  You also need to keep
replacing the bits as they do become dull and I have yet to figure how to
sharpen them.  The whole device is about 5" long.  My first one went bad
(the shaft stopped turning) after a relatively limited amount of use (I
had yet to replace any of the original bits).  Bookmakers sells this
device.  BTW, it is only useful for a max of about 1/4" of paper at a time.

R*