paper punches

Punches (Japan and U.S. manufacture) can also be used with a hammer instead
of getting a  push drill as described in the original post.  They are sold
in hardware stores and are  apparently most used for punching leather (so
try Tandy as well).  Punches can provide nice holes in binders board or mat
board when screw posts are being used.  Have not used them for holes for
stab bindings though.

At 04:30 PM 9/1/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I don't know about the Colophon drill, but a common punch (also
>expensive) is made in Japan and is a small push drill with very sharp
>open bits in about 7 sizes from, say 1 mm to 4 mm.  Thus, if you look at
>the business end of the bit it looks like the letter "o" so that the
>paper that is punched out goes into the hole.  You also need to keep
>replacing the bits as they do become dull and I have yet to figure how to
>sharpen them.  The whole device is about 5" long.  My first one went bad
>(the shaft stopped turning) after a relatively limited amount of use (I
>had yet to replace any of the original bits).  Bookmakers sells this
>device.  BTW, it is only useful for a max of about 1/4" of paper at a time.
>
>R*

>>     3955 (Cat. p.40) on sale for $79.90 and the cordless
>>     Dremel Multi-pro 7700 atr %52.95. Sales ends Sept. 18.
>>
>> Thank you very much for posting this bit of information!
>>
>> Do you have any idea how the Dremel Multi-Pro compares with
>> the drill-action hole punch available from Colophon Book
>> Arts?  (I know nothing about it save for the fact that Karen
>> posted that it was very good.)
>>
>> Thanks again!
>>
>> Virginia

Cathy Atwood
Local Records Program, Missouri Secretary of State