Date:         Wed, 3 Sep 1997 01:47:14 -0800
Sender: owner-book_arts-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Jack C. Thompson" <tcl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:      Re: Islamic bindings
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The best sources I know of for Islamic bindings are Gulnar H. Bosch's 1952
Ph.D. thesis, _Islamic Bookbindings_ (my copy is a microfilm; Thesis 1472
from the University of Chicago, The Joseph Regenstein Library, Dept. of
Photoduplication, 100 East 57th St., Chicago, IL  60637), and _Islamic
Bindings & Bookmaking_, catalogue of an exhibition at the Oriental
Institute, the University of Chicago, 1981, by Gulnar Bosch, John Carswell,
and Guy Petherbridge.

The exhibit catalogue contains an excellent, illustrated treatise on
Islamic bookbinding materials and techniques.  For information about
Islamic paper see note 101 (p. 79) in the catalogue, or locate a copy of
M.A. Kagitci's _Historical Study of paper Industry in Turkey_, Istanbul,
1976, p. 18.

Jack

>Date:    Mon, 1 Sep 1997 11:28:24 +0200
>From:    David Roberts <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Islamic bindings
>
>Islamic bindings
>I am currently in the process of conserving a set of bindings
>which have a number of problems and I am looking for information on the
>following areas.
>
>1 Information in regards to binding techniques of Islamic bindings C18
>
>2 Information on Islamic paper (coated)
>
>Many thanks
>
>David

Jack C. Thompson