Re: European Book Arts opportunities

Germany is an interesting case as the medieval "guild" system is still very
much intact. If one wants to learn one pretty much has to sign on for  a
traditional apprenticeship, 3 years. Those are exceedingly hard to come by
though. There is also the Buchbinderkollege in Stuttgart which offers
courses and the Centro del bel Libro in Ascona, both of which will charge
$$$ in tution and living expense.

Check the Guild of Book Workers' "Study Opportunities List." The URL is
<http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byorg/gbw/studind.html>

Peter

At 02:12 PM 9/3/97 CST, you wrote:
>        I'm a graduate student in the Book Arts program at the University
>of Alabama and interested in studying/working in Europe after
>finishing here.  My interests lay primarily in binding and
>conservsation in Germany (preferably) or England.  I'm having
>difficulty finding information, and would appreciate any help.
>
>                Sincerely,
>                Leigh Bristol Holden

Der Buchbinder als Architekt des Buches baut eine
Fassade seiner Zeit. Edwin Redslob

Peter Verheyen, Conservation Librarian
Syracuse University Library
Syracuse, NY 13244