Restoring damaged leather binding

I have been reading the list for a few days only, and hope the following
isn't too 'newbie' a question.

A friend has asked me to rebind a very small leather bound 'ready reckoner'.
I have done a little rebinding of old books, and some new work, but I know I
can't reproduce the original binding as I don't have the tools or skill to
pare leather finely enough.

I was wondering if I might be able to make a slightly oversized hard case,
covered in book cloth, and inset the remants of the original leather in
that, to preserve some of the original character.

Does anyone have any experience in this area? The original book certainly
isn't valuable, other than sentimentally.

Thanks in advance

Jane Seaton

skazki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx