Re: LG: re: Julie's flame & a ?

I didn't think anyone was being nasty, initially. I didn't see any flaming
either, just hysterics. I also just searched the archive going back two
weeks and didn't find any posting in which I suggested you had flamed
anyone. Just looking at this I also realize that this wasn't meant for me
or the list. No matter I'll address some points anyway, and keep this very
neutral and non-person specific.

1) No one is in over their head on this list. We have people of ALL levels.
Some discussions are based around the beginner level, some advanced. We all
learn from each other. I've taught classes off and on for 5 years now, and
learn from beginners. They catch my inconsistencies so quickly if frightens
me, but it keeps me sharp too. Likewise, if one listens and watches at
levels "beyond one" one learns and at some point will be able to apply
that. Don't worry about being a beginner.

2) The list is an odd beast, technically. You say you attempted to respond
to the welcome message, but it bounced back. There's a reason for that. You
were responding to an automated message designed to explain how this beast
works (At least I think it does). When you responded, you were writing to
the machine, not the list. To post to the list, the message should have
been sent to <Book_Arts-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>. To unsub, you would have
written to <listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, the sender of the welcome message.
I don't see the messages which are sent in error to the machine, they just
bounce back to the sender.

3) No one is "persona non grata." All are welcome to stay. I also try to
help people with listserver related problems when I can, but as a rule
don't jump at the first message because 90% manage to figure it out
themselves and I don't have the time to give email lessons, by email. When
I started the list over 3 years ago I did quite a bit of that. With 1000 on
the list now, I don't have the time and feel that if one wants on they
should be able to do it themselves, and if they can't they'll have troubles
posting... At the same time, if can get yourself on, you can get yourself
off. May seem heartless, which I'm not, but I simply don't have the
resources. Some people do have legitimate problems, their addresses
change... I have to then issue the commands, or they write to me directly
with copies of their error messages so that I can see where the problem is.
9 out of 10 times they left off something. The machine can't read thoughts.
Either it's right or it's wrong. There is no kinda right. That's why the
FAQ is posted on the web and sent out on a regular basis. I just get the
feeling that people don't read them, but I do the best I can.

The URL for the FAQ... is <http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey>. I suggest
people bookmark it.

If anyone really want off, send the following message to:

listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

unsub Book_Arts-L

That's all, and leave the subject line blank. AOL users just put in a "space."

Sorry if I seem harsh, but it's one of the burdens of command.

Peter

>>     In schoen gebunden Buechern blaettert man gern.     <<

Peter D. Verheyen   <wk> 315.443.9937      <fax> 315.443.9510
<Email>                        mailto:pdverhey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<Webmaster>                http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey
<Listowner>       mailto:Book_Arts-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx