Subj:    Fwd: Re: [APH] making signatures
Date:    97-09-25 16:46:07 EDT
From:    VMAH
To:      WMNTR

---------------------
Forwarded message:
From:   gwings@xxxxxxxx (Bruce Washburn)
Sender: APH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (APH - Association of Personal Historians
Listserv)
To:     APH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 97-09-24 22:49:15 EDT

At 10:30 PM 9/24/97, Pat Williams wrote:
>Good Lord!!!!
>
>I must have been asleep at my post(s).  I completely missed how to make
>a signature.  Could someone email me that post please.

        Pat,

        Here is a copy of Marty Walton's post on how she creates
signatures.  I believe that some desktop publishing programs, such as Quark
and Pagemaker, will automatically arrange signatures for you, also, but I'm
not positive about that.

        Cheers,
        Bruce

Re: Bruce's question about signatures...

No, signatures do not require offset printing.  They do, however, require
someone (I do this part myself) to think through how many finished book pages
per signature and, unless their word-processing program arranges pages in
signatures (my Microsoft Word does not), to plan every single page of the
book from the blank page in front of the title page to the final end sheet,
and group them in signatures.

For all our handbound books, the way I do it is to print 8 1/2" x 11" masters
on my printer, arrange my masters in the sequence I've worked out for the
signatures, then take the grouped masters and the 11"x17" blank paper stock
I've chosen to the photocopier I'm working with, along with careful and
explicit instructions about the sequence of the pages.  They print the book
pages, but do no binding or collating.  When they are finished, I take the
printed 11" x 17" pages back home, re-arrange them in order in the actual
signatures for each copy of the book, then take them to the bookbinder.  She
folds, sews each signature to the binding tape, trims the pages to the size
I've specified, and fastens the sewn tapes to the cover board, then glues the
bookcloth or cover material onto the cover board.  The finished books look
absolutely professional...which, in fact, they are!

The printer and the bookbinder can do one copy or five copies or fifteen,
whatever I request. I imagine if I asked for more than about 25 copies, the
bookbinder might lose some enthusiasm for the project, though.

Good luck at the workshop, Bruce.  And thanks for what you do to keep us all
in communication.

Marty Walton
The Storehouse Collection
Bellingham, Washington