Re: Pasting down endpapers

There are so many different styles of books and, thus, attaching
endsheets, that I believe there are many different answers to
this question.

For the "normal" case bound book (where the boards of the case are
only joined by the book cloth):

        Leaving the endsheets the width of the textblock has never
        caused any problems.  I first place the textblock in the
        case/cover and get it in the right position (i.e. centered
        on all three squares).  I then place the whole on the bench
        with the back cover down and carefully open up the front
        cover.  I then glue up the front endsheet -- and any spine
        linings as well -- and flip the front cover down over the
        endsheet making sure as I do this that the textblock is still
        tight against the spine of the cover.  Then I carefully turn
        the book over and repeat for the other side.  If you have
        mulitiple books to do, you can do anywhere from a couple to
        almost a dozen -- depending on how fast you work -- with a
        brick placed on top before cockling sets in on the endsheets.
        Then place the books between pressing boards and into the press
        under heavy pressure until the adhesive and paper is thuroughly
        dry.

For a braedel style binding (I've also heard the term paper joint
binding and French joint binding):

        Leave the endsheets about 1/2" to 1" longer than the textblock.
        The text block is attached first to the spine of the case by
        the hollowback on the spine of the textblock.  It is at this
        step that the textblock and cover are alighned.  After this has
        dried, glue down first the spine lining(s) and tapes, following
        the contour of the joint in the case.  Then glue up 3/4 of the
        endsheet closest to the spine and glue down.  The with the last
        1/4 of unglued endsheet, measure where you want the endsheet
        (now technically the pastedown) to lay, trim off and glue the
        rest down.  If the paper is one which swells alot, take this
        into account as you trim.  Let the first side dry all the way
        to prevent creasing of the pastedown in the joints. Do the
        same on the other side.

I have never had a problem with the first style of endsheet protruding
past the edge of the cover unless the cover was too small.  There will
be a bit of swell, each paper is different (and I have used many different
papers for endsheets).  But if you work fairly quickly, and I don't mean
like speeding bullet fast, just don't go talking to your favorite
psychic in the middle of this, the swelling should be such that it will
not make any difference.  The paper will be adhered to the board of the
cover before it swells too much.

With the second style, you trim the excess off just before gluing down
so the swell is always accounted for.  With some papers which I know the
swell of, I will just trim the endsheets even with the textblock knowing
that the swell will compensate for the extra length needed while following
the contour of the joints.

I hope this make sense.  I won't get into laced on board bindings.  That's
a whole other story and wasn't the original question, if I remember
correctly.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Eric

        Eric Alstrom     Athens, Ohio    ealstrom1@xxxxxxxxx
By all means leave the road when you wish.  That is precisely the use
of a road:  to reach individually chosen points of departure.  By all
means break the rules,  and break them beautifully,  deliberately and
well. That is one of the ends for which they exist.
                     R. Bringhurst: The Elements of Typographic Style