Re: (Fwd) Book date

At 02:58 AM 10/16/97 -0400, you wrote:

"anno (1) 1) 1( "

>I would just assume that perhaps the printer either ran out of letters or
>was trying to be visually creative. That is, I can certainly see the (1)
>being *visually* like an M, and the 1) being like a D, with the biggest
>stretch being the 1( for an XC. Hence...
>
>        (1) 1) 1(  =  MDXC  = 1590
>
>Of course, I would certainly assume the first two (i.e. M and D) and the
>second digit (C) of the last one, and XC makes more sense as an
>interpretation of 1( than IC would, because this last is just blatantly
>incorrect as a Roman numeral (whereas XC is not) -- however, old printers
>often took many liberties with spelling, etc. (whether it was intentional
>or not), and so it wouldn't surprise me if it was, in fact, actually 1599
>which was meant. I would agree that it's probably 1590, but either way it's
>pretty weird. :\

The M, D & C are not particularly wierd, they were often written this way.
I have also seen IC put in, meaning 99, so perhaps this is 1599 not 1590.

There are alot of bibliographies and union lists that identify and catalog
books.  If you're near a research library, check with them, they may be
able to help you narrow the date.

Susan Ravdin
Assistant
Special Collections