Home-made inks

This is a bit off topic, but I thought it in the spirit of the group.
I wonder if someone out there might know something more about this
recipe i found for home-made ink in a children's book on colonial
life.  Does anyone have any more specific recipes, for example
using oak galls which I've read were once used.

"Mash walnut shells and boil them until the water is a deep brown.  Add
vinegar and salt to the boiling water to set the color.  Add lampblack
for a black color."

Interested in any ideas.

Jeff

--