[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Spine Titles
- To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: Spine Titles
- From: Peter Stanbridge <trafcom@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 20:17:55 -0400
- In-reply-to: <E0xSUJN-0007WCfirstname.lastname@example.org>
- Message-id: <199711040127.RAA15304@SUL-Server-2.Stanford.EDU>
- Sender: "The Book Arts: binding, typography, collecting" <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>Why is it that American bookmakers orient the text on book spines
>>from the head of the volume to its tail, while German and French
>>titles are turned in the opposite direction?
As a compositor in Scotland in the 60s, I did quite a bit of bookwork. All
the spine titles were set to read from bottom to top. When I asked why (as
an apprenticeship), I was told 'because it's always done that way'.
Oakville, Ontario, Canada