[Table of Contents] [Search]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Binders tools

On Sat, 1 Nov 1997, Paul Gough wrote:

> I got several wooden handled (like old police billyclub's) with brass =
> wheels on
> the end. I can surmise the patterns on these wheels are transferred
> to binding materials. How is this done?=20

These are called fillets, and are used for tooling leather. You rest the
handle on your shoulder and roll the wheel across the binding, leaving
the impression of whatever is on the wheel. They are also used for gold

> I also got some isolated metal pieces, which I assume go into
> handles like the wheeled tools, but their use is less obvious.

Maybe for stamping/tooling spines?

> One has a pointed end, which appears to be for attachment to the
> wooden handle as on the wheeled tools above. On the other end is
> what I would describe as barrel-shaped piece of steel about three
> inches long and one inch in diameter.  There is stamping which appears
> to read as follows:
> J.B. Poole & Son
>         78
> Duane St., N.Y.

Clueless here.

> I have two other tools which have the point for attachment
> to the handle on one end and a threaded piece like a screw=20
> at the tip. One is like a two-tined fork, the other has only one
> "tine"

An awl?

> What I am hoping to learn is what these tools are called and how they
> are used. Can you suggest any reference work(s) which picture(s) these
> types of tools?

One good reference is Matt Roberts and Don Etherington's _Bookbinding and
the Conservation of Books_, published by the Library of Congress. It
should be available in any repository library. It defines and describes
terms and methods related to bookbinding (there is a picture of a
fillet!), but you have to know what the term is to be able to look it up.
I'm sure someone else on this list will be able to answer the other
Clara Keyes

[Subject index] [Index for current month] [Table of Contents] [Search]