Re: BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 8 Dec 1997 to 9 Dec 1997

Regarding the Musty Book question.  Freezing and interleaving the pages are
basically for materials that are wet or cannot be dried within 48 hours.
I've heard of two ways to get rid of musty odor.
1. Place materials/books in an airtight container with baking soda.  The
baking soda can be kept in a separate container/bag/box to avoid direct
contact with materials.  Let sit for a week or two and test.
2. Place the materials in a paper bag filled with crumpled newspaper.  The
newspaper will absorb the smell.  Repeat several times with fresh newspaper.
Can anyone let me know if they have actually tried to remove odors using the
above methods and if they do indeed work?
Thanks,
Marie Kelzer
SF Public Library
Preservation Dept.