Re: toxic teflon

At 07:52 PM 12/29/97 -0800, you wrote:
>I don't know how it relates to the sanding of teflon, but bird owners are
>told not to cook w/ teflon. Supposedly it will kill them.

It's not cooking with teflon that kills them, rather the fumes teflon gives
off when left on the heat with nothing to cook (i.e. when a boiling pot
runs dry), and birds are especially susceptible to the fumes.  I seem to
remember this from an old NOVA episode on unexpected dangers in the home.

Susan Ravdin
Assistant
Special Collections
Bowdoin College Library