[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: toxic teflon
- To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: toxic teflon
- From: Richard Seibert <rwsiii@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 07:31:29 -0800
- Message-id: <199712311446.GAA18626@SUL-Server-2.Stanford.EDU>
- Sender: "The Book Arts: binding, typography, collecting" <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
I spoke w/ a chemist friend and his belief is that teflon breaks down to
flourine and hydrogen floride (which is hydrofloric acid when dissolved in
water, which if I remember correctly eats glass) when heated too high.
There are cases of people being killed by the fumes after falling asleep w/
a pan on the stove.
Birds, remember, were used by miners to detect trace toxic gasses.
My chemist friend did not think teflon was any more dangerous when sanded
than any other particulate matter. ie just wear a mask.