Re: Ps & Qs and folk etymology

On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, R Starr wrote:

> I have used the phrase with no regrets until one of my graduate students
> chastised me saying tha the reference was to the maximum width of a stick
> that a man could use to beat his wife.

AFAIK, it was a term used by blacksmiths with relation to measurements,
i.e. from the tip of your thumb to the knuckle is approx. 1 inch.  TTYL!

                            ---
                        Paul Anderson
                   paul @ geeky1.ebtech.net
    Author of Star Spek(a tongue in cheek pun on Star trek)
e-mail: starspek-request@xxxxxxxxxxx with subscribe as the subject
I hear it's hilarious.               Maintainer of the Tips-HOWTO.
          http://www.netcom.com/~tonyh3/speck.html
       Noble deeds that are concealed are most esteemed.