S.F.CENTER FOR THE BOOK WORKSHOP

San Francisco Center for the Book
Workshop Offering

THE MARRIAGE OF STRUCTURE AND CONTENT
February 21-22, 1998
10:00-5:00
Kitty Maryatt

Marriage, divorce or separation? This is a class about the relationship of a
book to its structure: whether or not they are communicating with each other.
We will look at how book structure is related to content on  finely printed
books from Scripps College and other fine presses as well as artists books.
There will be substantial writing exercises that encourage you to explore the
interrelationship of a story with its structure. And we will turn the tables
and start with a structure (instead of with writing or imagery) and examine
what kinds of stories might best fit in that structure. The marriage (or not)
of text and imagery is an integral part of this discussion as well. You will
leave with a dummy book or two to get you started on your own new
relationship.

Kitty Maryatt is proprietor of Two Hands Press in Woodland Hills  and is
Director of the Scripps College Press in Claremont, California. She also
teaches Book Structures at UCLA Extension and anywhere else that there is a
need.

Contact Steve Woodall at the San Francisco Center for the Book, 300 DeHaro
Street, at (415) 565-0545 or info@xxxxxxxx