Re: Cuban Bookbinders

At 01:24 PM 2/16/98 EDT, you wrote:
>I am planning a trip to Cuba in May.  As part of my trip there I would
>like to visit some of that country's bookbinders.  Unfortunately, I
>don't know of any so I am wondering if anyone on this list could help me
>contact some.
>
>I do remember a couple of years ago seeing an article, in the US press,
>about the difficulties that Cuban bookbinders had  finding materials as
>basic as quality paper, sewing thread, book cloths and adhesives.  Since
>I am going by boat I will be able to carry some supplies if I can find
>my way through the inevitable red tape.  Both the US and Cuban
>authorities are capable of throwing up hurdles to my bringing in raw
>materials, but I will try my hardest.
>
>Any information in this direction would be appreciated.
>
>Bob Muens
>Bookbinding and Conservation
>513 Fleming St., Suite 5
>Key West, Florida  33040
><Bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Bob,

I do not know of any bookbinders in Cuba. I do know quite a bit about
traveling to Cuba and the restrictions for U.S citizens. If you even think
about suppling goods or currency to the Cuban economy your boat and your
self will be impounded. Be very careful about your stated intentions to the
State Dept.,Customs, and Coast Guard. Other than that have a great time the
people are wonderful. :)

Gill Johnston
venues@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Legacy Publishers