Re: Widespread Virus Myths

On Sun, 22 Feb 1998, Peter D. Verheyen wrote:

> If you have
> the device driver ANSI.SYS loaded (in your CONFIG.SYS file), someone could
> send a sequence of characters to your screen (known as an ANSI sequence)

BTW, these are called ANSI bombs.

> Several "virus experts" have suggested that users avoid downloading
> software and avoid shareware. There are no facts to support this!

AAMOF, there have been a number of cases where the master disks had gotten
infected, and thus even the shrink-wrapped disks brand-new from the store
where infected.

> It IS possible to write-protect a disk using hardware, but this technology
> does not seem to be readily available.

If you're brave enough, you clip some wires from the cable and that'll
prevent writes.  I won't tell which, because you can get yourself into
SERIOUS trouble if you goof it up.
The number of virii in the world, doubles at least once every six months.
BTW, the OS I use, Linux(http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP), is almost immune to
virii because of it's memory protection.  There's only two virii in
existance that will run under Linux.  I want to mention also that virii
are -*EXTREMELY*- OS specific.  i.e. a DOS virus will rarely work under
Win95, a Win95 virus won't work under DOS, nor it will work under Linux
nor OS/2.  TTYL!

                            ---
                        Paul Anderson
                   paul @ geeky1.ebtech.net
    Author of Star Spek(a tongue in cheek pun on Star trek)
e-mail: starspek-request@xxxxxxxxxxx with subscribe as the subject
I hear it's hilarious.               Maintainer of the Tips-HOWTO.
          http://www.netcom.com/~tonyh3/speck.html
     Self-made man: A horrible example of unskilled labor.