Re: Definition of the Artists Book (YES, again)

At 08:43 AM 3/6/98 -0500, Dorothy wrote:
> My 2 cents on the topic would be that an artists
>book (where ever one chooses to place the apostrophe)is a comment by >an
individual on any aspect of the common (i.e. public) view of a >book,
>I feel like a terrorist tossing a bomb into a crowd.  I'm gonna run.

Since you tossed the bomb -- I do not agree at all that an artist's book is
a comment on aspects of a book. Some art is commentary on other art, but
most art, I would say, has, or should have, its own reason to exist.
Peter says --The problems I have are that all too often I have seen poor
workmanship excused with the phrase, "it's art" or dismissed as irrelevant.
I think this relates to a discussion on the list some time ago about the
use of archival materials in one's work. To me, equally important in the
making of a work of art are the materials one uses, craftmanship, the
content, and the way in which all this is put together. If you ignore the
importance of any one of these, you end up with something inferior.

Shireen Holman, Printmaker and Book Artist
email: tholman@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.clark.net/pub/tholman/shireen/index.htm