Re: Bks abt aligning text

>The John Neal catalog has three books that seem to be about
>how to align text in books:
>   _Elements of Typographic Style_ by Robert Bringhurst
>   _Layout and Design for Calligraphers_ by Alan Furber
>   _The Non-Designer's Design Book: Design and Typographic Priciples
>      for the Visual Novice_ by Robin Williams
>
>Is anyone familiar with any of these books?  If so, could you please
>tell me which you would recommend or not recommend?

Not quite sure what you mean by 'how to align text in books'.

Anyway, Elements of Typographic Style is good, but it's not 'The Bible' as
some say. Recommended.

Haven't read Layout and Design.

Non-designers design book -- for beginners.

If you're interested in how type should be used in book, I would recommend --
Stop stealing sheep - Erik Spiekermann & E.M. Ginger
The form of the book - Jan Tschichold
The Thames and Hudson manual of typography - Ruari McLean

Peter Stanbridge
Oakville, Ontario
trafcom@xxxxxxxxxxxx