[Table of Contents] [Search]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Polyester Book Covers Inquiry

In response to David Macfarlane's post:
The "stiff clear plastic" that is used most of the time in stores to cover
book jackets or books are polyester book jacket covers from Library vendors
such as BRODART  (1-800-233-8959) or GAYLORD (1-800-634-6307).  These are
usually 1.5mil thickness and not the kind of polyester (mylar) approved for
use on valuable material.  The truely "archival" polyester is
"DuPont Mylar D" or ICI Melinex" which is uncoated and clear.
A few Preservation vendors that sell Mylar D or ICI Melinex 516 are
TALAS (212-219-0770), Conservation Resources (1-800-634-6932) and
University Products (1-800-762-1165).

Marie Kelzer
Preservation Dept.

[Subject index] [Index for current month] [Table of Contents] [Search]