Re: Sewn Pamphlets

I've just done some pamphlets like this, quite simple, text pages done via
"desktop publishing" techniques. To "dress them up" I've done some of the
following, with different books. I've used cover paper on which I've
letterpress printed the title, and run the paper through an inkjet color
printer to put a color image on the cover; I've taken large sheets of paper
for cover, before printing, and sprayed them with acrylic paint, getting a
kind of random pattern of colors (spray was done by mixing paint thinly in
plastic spritzer bottles), then applyina title label which was a brightly
colored oriental paper on which the title was printed -- either via
letterpress or laser printer. I've also used various decorative endsheets
on these books, ranging from translucent tracing paper to chiri paper to
other Asian papers. And on one such book which was a bit longer, I sewed
the 100 copies in the edition with an exposed-spine coptic stitch binding
(the cover on that one was a blue denim handmade paper).

So maybe this is just to say there are tons of ways to dress up such
pamphlets -- play with it until you find a way you like which seems
appropriate to the project.

At 10:56 AM 3/11/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Does anyone have any suggestion for a way to "dress up" a sewn pamphlet?
>
>My family will be compiling a cook book of recipes loved and shared by the
>family, (I know it may sound silly) for my in-laws 40th wedding anniversary,
>and it will be distributed to everyone as a useful reference and keepsake.
>The recipes will most likely be printed on 81/2 x 11 paper,
charles alexander   ::   poet and book artist   ::   chax@xxxxxxxxxxxx
chax press   ::   alexander writing/design/publishing
books by artists' hands   ::   web sites built with care and vision
http://personal.riverusers.com/~chax/   ::   http://alexwritdespub.com