Re: paper art

Claudia

I would avoid a damp cloth unless I was confident the paper could handle that
amount of moisture, plus it might impress the texture of the cloth onto the
paper (that could be good!). Steam might be OK for heavy paper. There are so
many thicknesses and degrees of toughness, you'll have to experiment. Putting a
another paper (white and clean) between is a good idea. When I had to the time
to be a prolific seamstress (long ago), I'd iron the tissue pattern pieces flat
and refold, it was the only way I could get them back in those  envelopes! In
that case I use no water, because the tissue was so delicate, and no paper in
between because it was just too awkward. I just ironed quickly. Watch out for
any water soluble coloring and any thing that might be meltable.

P.S. I got my undergraduate degree at SDSU. I lived in SD for 23 years. Is
Mission Valley fooded yet?
__________________________________
Jill Timm, Visual Media Designer
User Centered Design
Network Computing Software, IBM Austin
(512) 838-9267, jtimm@xxxxxxxxxx

Jill,

Thanks for your response.  Would you use a steam iron and if so would you
actually touch the paper?  I could use another paper between or should I use
a damp cloth?

>I have found ironing paper will remove wrinkles and reduce the visibly of
>folds. Using a bit of  moistures will help. Use low to medium heat.

It's so nice to have advice when one really is unsure.  A great resource!

Claudia
Claudia Stall
Head, Collection Preservation Unit
San Diego State University
Love Library

         "Be kind, do good work, and touch the earth gently."