Re: artists' books vs. book art

On Sat, 14 Mar 1998 18:52:28 Richard Minsky <minsky@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>What we have in Book Art that is different from Artists' Books is that
>BOOK ART is a MOVEMENT. Like Impressionism or Futurism, only without the
>"ism." Maybe we don't have a manifesto, or maybe we do. I'd coose Ulises
>Carrion's 'The New Art of Making Books." as a good choice in the Manifesto
>department.

Maybe we need a new term for this thing called artists books.  I do like
Richard's use of the term "book arts" as an umbrella for binding, printing,
typography, calligraphy, etc., which is pretty much how I have used the term.

But for the discussion of artists books, are we trying to define the term
by using the term, which we all learned back in grade school was not
allowed?  And jumping on Richard's point that we don't have an "ism" to
call ourselves, it is high time to give ourselves this title.  All serious
art movements have their "ism," right?

So let's get our name/title down first, then we can define ourselves.  I'll
start with a few ideas for discussion:

bookism (too plain, easy to identify)
biblioism (again, it can be identified, but has more intellectual ties, and
        that is good)
pageism (but that begins to pigeonhole us into having pages of some sort,
        which we have argued for and against)
coverism (again, we have argued for and against the presence of covers)
gatherism (since books, generally, gather together pages, ideas, processes
        into one unit, whether it is openable or not)

Just a few ideas, and a new (lighter) direction for this discussion.
Although I have really enjoyed the ideas and conversation (and lack of
flames!) will this ever end.  I can't get any work done for reading all
these messages!

Eric

        Eric Alstrom     Athens, Ohio    ealstrom1@xxxxxxxxx
By all means leave the road when you wish.  That is precisely the use
of a road:  to reach individually chosen points of departure.  By all
means break the rules,  and break them beautifully,  deliberately and
well. That is one of the ends for which they exist.
                     R. Bringhurst: The Elements of Typographic Style