Re: First Editions

At 08:15 AM 3/17/98 -0500, Susan Kapuscinski Gaylord
<sgaylord@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Dear Friends
>The recent question on first editions reminded me of a mystery I read
>recently- The Bookman's Wake by John Dunning. The main character is
>Cliff Janeway, a cop turned book dealer, and the book opens with a
>discussion of first editions. It's a good mystery with lots of
>fascinating details about book collecting/selling. It's not a field I
>know about so I don't know how accurate it is, but it is fascinating.
>I'd recommend it as a good read, and would be interested in knwoing how
>true a picture he paints.
>in good spirit,
>Susan

Last summer I discovered John Dunning in a fit of reading mystery after
mystery.  From what I understand, and this is what other people who know
rare and first edition books have said (I am not an expert at first
editions, but keep hoping that the books I buy are firsts), Dunning is
fairly accurate with his first ed. info and the way the used book trade is
run.  There is at least one other Cliff Janeway title out there as well,
can't remember the name, though.  Definitely good and fun reads, and you
can't put them down!

Eric

* Eric Alstrom        *
* Athens, Ohio        *
* alstrom@xxxxxxxxx *

... and it is remarkable, thinks Russ, how much earthly
disturbance, how much summer and dust the mind can manage
to order up from a single Latin letter lying flat.

                        Don DeLillo, Underworld (1997)